Easter is But a Day, But The Ham Lasts Forever…
Ham always seems to show up on the Easter buffet, so I thought I would put together a couple of recipes for using up that monstrously huge chunk of pork. I usually freeze some of our leftovers, but you can always convert a portion into a nice cold salad to take along to work.
Honey hams are extremely popular, but you can’t use honey baked leftover ham in every recipe. Like pinto beans. One year, I used the honey ham bone (in one of my thriftier moments) in a pot of beans that I was cooking. Honey sweet and terrible, that was one pot of beans that did not make it to the table (ah, but the memory of them lives on…)
Do They Call Them Hams as They Are The Center of Attention for So Long?
With our Orange Almond Quinoa Salad, however, the sweet and salty honey ham works perfectly with this fruity savory salad. You can substitute arugula, or finely chopped kale for the baby spinach leaves, and the salad would be just as delicious.
Select a vinaigrette salad dressing, such as Paul Newman’s Olive Oil and Balsamic or Brianna’s, both great little gems to find in the pantry when you have a load of leftovers, and no inspiration.
Orange Almond Quinoa Salad with Ham and Spinach
Got Ham? We’ve got answers with our light and healthy Orange Almond Quinoa Salad with Ham and Spinach
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: Serves 2-4 1x
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Healthy
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa (175gr)
- 2 cups water (480ml)
- 4 oz. ham steak, diced
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves (30gr)
- 1 orange, peeled and sectioned
- 2 tbsp. slivered almonds (12gr)
- 4 green onions, chopped
- ½ cup of your favorite bottled vinaigrette salad dressing (120ml)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fill a 1 qt. (1lt) lidded saucepan with the water and bring to a boil. Add the quinoa, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, until fully cooked (follow package directions.) Water should be completely absorbed. Remove lid, and transfer quinoa to a large mixing bowl. Allow quinoa to cool completely.
- Add the remaining ingredients, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Served chilled.